Sunday, August 9, 2009

For the Locals: Peppers and Train Rides

This past week I stopped at the Farmers Market in Nashville. The sellers currently have beautiful red, green and yellow peppers for sale for .50 - .75 each. I was in Publix this morning and they were selling what looked like neon red peppers for about 3.50 per lb. A pepper usually weighs about a half pound. Not only are the color of the peppers much better (deep red) at the Farmer's Market but they are cheaper. And by purchasing there, you help support local farmers. I bought a sack full to cut up and freeze. I love to just toss a handful into soups and stews in the winter. Red peppers in the dead of winter generally run around $4 each.

Also this week, my two boys had a professional day at their elementary. I brought them to town to go to the corporate daycare that we can use just for those occasions. I like to take them to do something special when I get the chance and since they were already downtown, we took the only daily round trip there is on the Music City Star. It leaves at 4:20 from Riverfront Park and returns at 5:35. You need to get there by 4:00 to buy your tickets which are $9 each. My boys had never ridden a train before and declared afterwards that "It was the best day ever!" Be sure you do not ride on the "quiet" car. A lady was kind enough to tell us before we left the station. The train was a double decker so we rode on the second level. I think it was more fun watching them then the scenery flying by. We did not have to get off the train for the return trip. I did not see any bathrooms on the train so be sure to take your little ones before you get on. The Riverfront Station has great bathrooms.

1 comment:

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

I'm all about the peppers at the Farmers' Markets right now!! Delicious and cheap and markets are just fun...

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...