Friday, January 29, 2010

Yummy Stove Pipe Bread on a Snowy Day!

This is what it looks like outside today here in middle Tennessee. Schools were called off yesterday just on the prediction of snow. Yes, I can hear you Northerners laughing! See the big issue in the South is that we rarely get a good snow so no one knows how to drive in it (except for my husband who is from Michigan and even he stays off the roads). It's the inexperienced snow drivers that make it so dangerous. Anyway, in between working from home on my laptop, I made a new recipe with the kids. It's called Stove Pipe Bread and is delicious!

I have a couple of cool Pampered Chef stoneware bread crocks that I picked up at thrift stores for a couple of dollars. Months ago I went looking for a good recipe to use in them. I found this one and set it aside. I came across it this morning. It is actually meant for cooking in coffee cans, but crocks work great. I also used my bread machine rather than by hand as the recipe indicates. Just put the ingredients in and set for dough cycle. When complete, divide dough into two greased crocks and allow to rise for twenty more minutes in a warm area. Bake as directed.

Stove Pipe Bread

from Aldi

Ingredients:
  • 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp salt (necessary)
  • 2 large eggs
Directions:

Combine 1-1/2 cup flour and yeast in a bowl. Combine next 5 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until just warm, about 120°F. Stir into dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly with an electric mixer. Add eggs and continue to beat until mixture is smooth. Add 1 cup flour and mix well. Use a wooden spoon to stir in remaining flour.

Divide batter into 2 oiled 1 lb coffee cans. Cover with plastic lids and set aside in a warm area to rise about 1 hour. When dough has risen almost to the top of cans, remove lids. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 30-35 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before removing from can.

2 comments:

Fahrenheit 350° said...

That sounds just like us! Coming from Oregon I knew nothing (no snow in Portland), but my hubs from Utah was old hat at it.

Val said...

I found you thru Mrs.Buys More(Pam's) blog. I really enjoyed reading some of your entries tonight. I will have to try the bread sometime too. It's snowing again here in Green Bay. =)

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...