Friday, December 12, 2008

Snow Day and Recipe!

It does not snow here (Nashville) often but it was a blizzard (southern style not Minnesota style) when I picked up the kids. They were soooo excited. We sang Christmas songs all the way home while I slowly navigated the ice and falling snow. It was fun and scary at the same time. If you live in the South, you know that any bit of snow or often just the prediction of snow will close down a city and cause everyone to shop at the grocery store as if we were to be snowed in for weeks (generally always melts away in a day or two). And the driving...crazy. My husband is originally from Michigan and just shakes his head and laughs. The problem is that we (Southerners) don't get too much really bad weather so we have not got the practice and skills to navigate it well. So even if you know how to drive in bad weather, no one else does and it becomes very dangerous.

Anyway...I am supposed to go to a cookie exchange at my friend's house this afternoon (still on as it will be melted by then). I was planning on making the peanut butter balls that Melissa at I Robbed that Store Legally suggested. They sound wonderful. I had everything but the baking wax. I was going to get it at the store last night. I did actually stop at Kroger on the way to pick up the kids, but as described above, it was a madhouse and nary an employee anywhere. Needless to say, either they don't have it or I could not find it. Anywhere. Bummer.

So I came home, made the kids some hot chocolate and went to look for a recipe with stuff I did have. My husband's grandmother made a family cookbook years and years ago - it even has antique photos in it of ancestors. I found this recipe which was my husband's grand aunt's. It is hand written and photocopied. They turned out exactly as described, very tasty and easy to maneuver for cut outs. Here is the actual text.

Decorated Spice Cookies (flavorful)
by Thelma Splane

"My favorite for Christmas 'cut-outs'. Simple to make and cut out easily"

Ingredients:


3 cups flour
2 teaspoons ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup margarine (2 sticks)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Karo dark corn syrup

Directions:
  1. Sift 3 cups flour, 2 teaspoons ginger, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1 teaspoon ground cloves.
  2. Mix 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine and 1/2 cup sugar, stir in 1/2 cup Karo dark corn syrup.
  3. Mix in flour and spices. (I usually mix the dough the day before baking day). Refrigerate.
  4. Roll out 1/8 inch thick on floured surface.
  5. Cut into shapes.
  6. Place on greased baking sheet.
  7. Bake in 350 degree oven about 10 minutes.
  8. Decorate.

Makes 8 dozen 2-inch cookies.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Fun! We (MN) drive poorly in it too, at first, but then we get used to it. I am always surprised every year when I slide around on that first snow - duh!

I was telling my daughter about how cities in the south do not have snow plows and when it snows there everything shuts down. Her response? "That would be AWESOME!"

Clairew said...

Great deal for us frugal bloggers:

Two 2009 Entertainment Books for a profit of 2 USD!

Read how at ChoysterCash.blogspot.com: http://choystercash.blogspot.com/2008/12/two-2010-entertainment-books-for-profit.html



*

I'm thrilled to have been able to buy 2 Entertainment Books this year for a profit of 2 USD!

Here's how I did it, using excellent advice from Swap Savers and tweaking their advice a bit.

I think that you could actually keep making a bigger and bigger profit the more books you buy - as each extra one costs less than the previous one. Has anyone tried this?

1. Sign up for Cashbaq.

2. Get $5 bonus in account for sign up.

3. Buy 2 Entertainment Books (my area's regular priced ones were 30 USD but yours might be less).

4. Automatic discount of 10 USD per book.

5. Say you want "automatic renewal" - this means that they will take off another 5 USD, and in a few months you will get a card in the mail you can cancel.

6. Receive 10 USD cash back per book from Cashbaq.

Out of Pocket: 23 USD
Will Receive: 25 USD in Cashbaq rebates.
Profit of 2 USD!

And there will be TONS of profits to come from using those coupons!

Colleen said...

Hi! I am new to your blog and I think it is great! I must live close to you because we had snow at my house! Gotta love the once a year snow! Thanks for all of your great tips and links.

Anonymous said...

It is awesome Michelle's daughter! School closes at a sight of snowflake! (I used to work in the school system there, and it was exciting for the faculty as well :)!

Melissa said...

ughhh sorry I should have mentioned that the wax is seriously not mandatory. I just use it because the first recipe I had for it included it in the ingredients. Since then I use it just because I bought a huge honkin box of the stuff and it never goes bad.

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...