I have some great bread recipes, but often I am missing one or two ingredients because they are not something I usually have on hand. The recipe I tried this Saturday is one that requires only the most basic of ingredients that I, like most cooks, usually have on hand. It has a great rating on Allrecipes.com. I had to cut it down to easily fit into a bread machine. It turned out surprisingly awesome! It is slightly sweet and soft. The best part, it requires no milk or eggs - things I am always running out of!
Amish White Bread
* 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 1/3 cup white sugar
* 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 3 cups bread flour
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select the dough setting.
- Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing, if needed add 1-2T of water or flour.
- Remove and shape as desired. Allow to rise another 30 minutes (I put mine in a slightly warm oven turned off).
- Brush with either butter or egg white.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.