I recently purchased a Better Homes and Gardens Chocolate (1984) cookbook at Goodwill and found this yeast bread recipe, which turned out beautifully. I had to alter it slightly to be used in a bread machine. It smelled great while it was cooking! Here is the recipe:
2 3/4 cups of flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 package active dry yeast
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 t vanilla
Maraschino cherries and pecan halves for topping (optional)
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select the dough setting.
- When complete, remove and braid. Allow to rise another 30 minutes (I put mine in a slightly warm oven turned off).
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
- For icing, in a small bowl stir together 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make icing of drizzling consistency (1 1/2 T).