Sunday, August 31, 2008

Watermelon Rind Pickles

This is one of my grandmother's recipes that I photocopied the last time that I was in Florida visiting. It is from a typed card (from a typewriter) that was dog-eared and obviously well-used. I remember eating this when I was a child, and it was yummy. I have never canned, but when I do eventually do it, this is one of the first things I will make. I love heirloom recipes!

Watermelon Rind Pickles

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 qts cubed watermelon rind
  • 8 c granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsps whole all-spice
  • 3 tbsps salt
  • 3 qts water
  • 1 pt vinegar
  • 2 tbsps whole cloves
  • 6 - 3" sticks cinnamon

Directions:

Use rind from a firm, not overripe melon. Before measuring, trim off green skin and pink flesh; cut rind in 1" cubes. Soak overnight in combined salt and 1 qt water; drain.

Cover with fresh water; cook until tender; drain. Boil together remaining 2 qts water, sugar and vinegar for 5 minutes. Tie spice in cheesecloth bag; add. Add rind; cook uncovered until transparent - about 45 minutes.

Remove bag. Turn at once into clean, hot, sterilized preserve jars; seal.

Makes about 2 pints.

Note: Store any leftover syrup in refrigerator. Use for a second lot of watermelon pickles the next day, or store and use before it spoils.




2 comments:

Manager Mom said...

That sounds oddly delicious.

Thrifty and chic mom said...

Sounds good, thanks for linking to my blog!