Friday, November 21, 2008

Danish Cucumber Salad "AGURKESALAT"

I was at Aldi this afternoon getting ready for Thanksgiving. Just so you know, they have beautiful smoked, fully cooked, Butterball turkeys for $1.69 per pound. They also have spiral sliced ham for $1.49 per pound. While I was there I found some really fresh looking cucumbers at .79 each. It reminded me of a great dish we frequently make for family meals and holidays. I grew up with this tempting foreign dish as I am half Danish (not the pastry, but that's good too!). It has a light sweet tart flavor that is a nice compliment to all the heavy dishes that you make for Thanksgiving. You can slice the cucumber in a variety of ways. I have even used my julienne peeler and it comes out great. It is very easy to make! Increase the ingredients for larger crowds. This is generally the right amount for 2-3.

Danish Cucumber Salad "AGURKESALAT"

1 Long English Cucumber
3 tsp. salt
2 TB. white vinegar
2 TB. water
1 TB. sugar
Pinch of Pepper


Directions:
Wash and thinly slice the cucumber. Sprinkle with salt and press (10 minutes) between two plates. Prepare marinade by boiling the vinegar, water, sugar and pepper together and allow to cool. Drain excess liquid from cucumbers and add to marinade. Refrigerate for two hours before serving.

4 comments:

Jensen said...

I love you very much.

Dr. Mom said...

You're so sweet!

Jensen said...

You are the best mom in the world.You make the best food.

Jensen said...

Thank you for everything mom.

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...