Thursday, November 20, 2008

One of Our Holiday Favorites: Broccoli Salad

Broccoli Salad

Description:
It is hard to believe that this combination makes such an incredible dish. It is a favorite of ours and one of the few times that I like raisins. You can use turkey bacon and light Miracle Whip if you prefer a lighter version. For a festive change you can also add dried cranberries.

Ingredients:
8 slices bacon
1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
4-5 green onion stalks, chopped (red onion also works great)
1/2 cup raisins (dark or golden)
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup Miracle Whip
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Directions:
1 Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2 In a medium bowl, combine the broccoli, onion and raisins. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture, and toss until well mixed. Refrigerate preferably for at least two hours.
3 Before serving, toss salad with crumbled bacon and sunflower seeds.

4 comments:

Tina Butler said...

I love broccoli salad all that bacon and raisins. No one else in my house eats so i have to make it when my MIL visits.

JusFrugal said...

Is the broccoli fresh? or cooked? This is a new one for me but I'm going to have to try it!

Dr. Mom said...

The broccoli is fresh. Just cut up into bite size pieces. It is surprisingly good. Even my "I really don't like vegetables" husband likes this, a lot.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Oh, this is one of my FAVORITES. My aunt bought some at the grocery store and put it in a nice dish for Easter dinner at my house and lied about making it herself...when she finally came clean, my family went on a mission to find the recipe. The dressing covers up the raw broccoli flavor. It's de-lish!

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...