Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hawaiian Orange Cake Recipe

I got this in a recipe exchange, and it sounded so good I wanted to share!



Hawaiian Orange Cake


1 Yellow Box Cake (Duncan Hines is best, but any will do)

3 Eggs

3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

1 15-Ounce Can Mandarin Oranges (do not drain)


With electric beaters, mix together the above. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake 30-minutes at 350-degrees (no more than that!)


ICING

1 8-Ounce Tub of Cool Whip

1 3.5 Ounce Box of Vanilla Instant Pudding

1 20-Ounce Can of Crushed Pineapple (do not drain)


Beat together and spread icing on cake. Cover cake and refrigerate at least four hours before serving. Place leftover cake in the fridge, covered.

2 comments:

jodirae said...

You had mentioned you had some bread recipes. I have looked for them but not really good obviously. I need help with a starter recipe that I can use for white or sourdough bread and make into muffins or rolls or whatever. I would like to know of a whole grain good one that is first hand. Although I don't have a bread maker. Do you recommend that I get one or can I do without? Thanks sooo much.

Dr. Mom said...

I highly recommend that you get a bread maker. I have three. The first one that I bought was from a department store on sale ($60, half price). The other two I have picked up at thrift stores barely used ($10-$15). I can't tell the difference in dough quality. Many people get them as gifts, try them once and never get into bread making, which is why you can often find them nearly new. I set out to learn. I started using the first one and realized that I loved it and wanted to make several loaves at a time to give away.

The nice thing about breadmakers is that you just put the ingredients in, tell the machine what to do and in about 1-2 hours you have a batch of dough to mold, let rise and bake. There are those who love to knead the dough themselves, but I prefer the whirling sound of the machines at work for me! You can cook the dough in the machine but it comes out looking like a block and I don't find it attractive. I prefer to braid it and then brush some egg white on the outside to give it a glossier appearance or brush some butter on it to give the crust a saltier taste.

I will put some of my favorite recipes on the next post.

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...