Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tasty Tuesday: Hash Brown Casserole

This is one of our favorites and will be cooked sometime during the holiday. It can either be a side or a great breakfast. When I was younger, I worked in DC for a Congressman. This was his wife's recipe, though I have found it in many places. It is very simple, using crushed cornflakes as topping, but really good! To make it fast, I buy a frozen packet of onions with green/red peppers from the store's freezer section (usually less than $1). I also put just the hash browns in the oven to cook for about 10 minutes while I mix up the rest. My husband says it tastes better.

Hash Brown Casserole

Ingredients:
32 oz thawed hash browns
2 large chopped onions
2 cans cream of chicken soup
12 oz. sour cream
1 stick melted margarine
1 cup crushed corn flakes
2 cups grated cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°. Place hash browns in a 9x13 baking dish. Drizzle melted margarine over hash browns. Mix cream of chicken, chopped onion & sour cream. Pour over potatoes. Top with grated cheese. Cover with crushed corn flakes. Bake at 350° F for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This is the best stuff! I originally discovered it at Cracker Barrel restaurants....

Simply Potato's (in the refrigerator section ) has the diced potatoes in packs and the recipe on the back of the package is pretty darn good.

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...