Friday, June 26, 2009

For the Locals: Great Place to Buy Bread

I have heard from three different local frugal sources that the Apple Market on Nolensville Road was a great place to buy bread. I finally made it there today. The interior resembles an HG Hill store. When I first walked in, I went to the bread section where much of their bread appeared to me to be overpriced. I was very disappointed. So I wondered around the store, picked up a few coupons - a really good one, $1 off of beef when you purchase A1, and finally purchased some celery because I needed it for a recipe. My few minutes of free time before first child pick up were dwindling. On the way out I asked the greeter what the deal was on the bread, not expecting anything. She said, "Oh yes, its the racks of Pepperidge Farm bread in the freezer section." Yeah, that's where I would expect fresh bread to be.

Anyway, there they were on the bread racks in the middle of the freezer section. They were perfect, with sell by dates still a few days away. The greeter had thought they were .79 each but when I checked out with my nine loaves, they turned out to be .50 each. What a deal! Each was over $3 originally. So I spent $4.50 plus tax to restock my freezer with great bread. I bought a variety, from wheat to sourdough to plain. I asked the checkout girl what the story was on the bread, but she did not know, other than "A man just brings them in."

My frugal sources say that the market restocks at various times which is when you should go, but I do not know when that is. It appeared to be well stocked today with two or three racks of bread. If you are interested, here is the address:

Apple Market
5127 Nolensville Road

Nashville, TN 37211

6 comments:

Nashville Cheapster said...

Glad you were able to stock up. I still can't believe .50 a loaf. I've been twice now and both times the discount bread racks were well stocked.

Daphne said...

Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to check this place out. Love your posts about great local deals!

Tara said...

Thanks for reminding me of this. I had heard about it, but kept forgetting. I'm also glad you told us where to look, I would have never thought to look in the frozen food aisle! I stopped by this morning and got several loaves. The CS manager told me that they usually get two deliveries a week, but it's never a sure thing. But, the loaves are always .50 each.

Daphne said...

Stopped by today and got 5 loaves for less than I would have paid for 1 loaf at Publix or Kroger!!! What a great deal! I was wondering how you freeze your bread? Just throw it in the freezer in the original packaging? Thanks again!

Dr. Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Mom said...

I just throw them in the freezer in their original wrapping. It wasn't until this year that I tried freezing bread thinking that it would taste funny when you unfroze it. However, I am not able to tell the difference. The night before I need it to make sandwiches in the morning, I just take it out of the freezer and put it on the counter. It's perfect by morning.

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...