Monday, June 29, 2009

Now I Don't Feel So Guilty About My Kids' Obsession With PB & J

I have picky eaters, and often when I cook something new or healthy, they refuse to eat it by responding with, "EWWWW, that's yucky!" Of course as a parent, I make them at least try it, but I don't force them to eat it. No point in making them hate it the rest of their lives just on principle. The fall back is usually peanut butter and jelly. So I was inordinately pleased to see this recent report on AOL about peanut butter:
Long known to be a natural heart healer, a recent Harvard Medical School study that monitored the eating habits of 2,000 women with type 2 diabetes -- which increases heart disease and stroke risk -- found that eating peanuts or peanut butter at least five days a week can nearly halve your risk of a heart attack, according to "The Daily Mail."
On another peanut butter note, did you know that the new whipped peanut butter has fewer calories per serving and is easier to spread? My kids can't tell the difference.

4 comments:

Frances said...

I just LOVE peanut butter and jelly!

Nancy said...

I tried the whipped and thought that although it spread easier there was not as much to it as the regular peanut butter. I don't know, could be my imagination but the jar seemed to go faster than our normal jar.

Love peanut butter - I have a jar at work and a PB Spoon (what a call my tablespoon) and when I seem to be getting a little hungry then I get my PB spoon and get a scoop of Peanut butter and that usually takes care of my sweet tooth. Now I can say it's for my heart!

Meredith said...

Thanks for sharing this! It makes me feel a lot better : )

We have been buying the Krema smooth peanut butter from Kroger. Made in Ohio, its only ingredient is peanuts. My kids like the texture more than fresh ground natural.

It's Algood said...

Thanks for this post. I have a very picky 18 month old and he doesn't eat meat so most of his protein is in the form of PB and dairy. We have a babysitter with Celiac's Disease and her GI docs are also telling her to eat PB all the time!

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...