Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pesto Pizza!

This is a great recipe to use up some of those cheap pizza doughs I purchased at Publix a week or so ago and all the great summer vegetables now showing up. Not only that, but garlic is incredibly good for you, and I just plain love it! This recipe is originally from Dining In with Show Me St. Louis, a great cookbook I purchased at a thrift store.

Pesto Pizza

Ingredients:

chopped fresh basil
3 garlic cloves
1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
1 prepared pizza dough
shredded mozzarella cheese
baby spinach leaves
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
chopped broccoli florets, zucchini, parsley or other vegetables of choice (optional)
1 tablespoon bread crumbs
1 -2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, or a mixture of oregano and rosemary

Directions:

Combine the basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and salt in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Spread over the pizza crust and top with mozzarella cheese, spinach, tomatoes and other vegetables preferred. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning. Bake at 375 degrees until the cheese melts. Broil 4 inches from the heat source for 2 to 3 minutes or until the bread crumbs are golden brown and crisp.

5 comments:

Tracey said...

Yum - this sounds delicious! I can practice making my homemade pizza dough again and use your toppings!

Anonymous said...

Now that sounds good. I have basil growing on my back deck.

Elsbit said...

I just wanted to post a beware of a particular Publix store in the Nashville area. I know you frequent a different one but on the chance someone else reads this....

My husband bought some Right Guard Deoderant today. When I was unpacking them I checked the expiration date of the 4: 3 did not have one (which maybe it doesn't anymore but I find that odd) but 1 had black permanent marker crossing out two expiration date locations. I used magic eraser to see the expiration date underneath and it was expired since 2008. Shady Shady!

I have not been fond of this particular Publix lately anyway, but this sealed the deal. I am changing locations, which sucks because while farther away, this was more convenient.

Moral of the story- Check all expiration dates of perishable and NON perishable items! :)

Oh and this pizza sounds tasty!

Dr. Mom said...

Liz, thanks for the tip. Which Publix in Nashville was this? I'll be sure to be more diligent in checking expiration dates!

Elsbit said...

Duh, I thought I wrote Bellevue. Oops. It is the Bellevue Publix. :)

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...