Wednesday, October 22, 2008

WFMC:Tractor Supply Company and Cheap Pet Medication

On the way into work this morning I was trying to think of something that I either do or know about that might help someone else out. It brought back a memory of a teacher in college who's husband was out of work, and she had a sick animal and could not afford to take it to the vet. I gave her some advice on getting pet medication that saved her pet's life. My husband and I have always had a soft spot for stray animals. When we lived in East Nashville (a neighborhood currently being revitalized), while we were trying to restore a hundred year old house and in college (meaning poor, poor, poor), we were bombarded with stray animals. We could not afford big vet bills on the constant stream of animals. So I would go to the Tractor Supply Company to get cheap antibiotics (no need for a prescription), dewormer and even pet shots that I would have to give myself. The antibiotic that I use is Terramycin and comes in a bagged powder form. It is meant for farm animals but works on dogs and cats. It is $5.29 and will last forever. I keep it in the refrigerator. You can walk right in and buy it. We adopted one fearful 40 lb skin and bones dog that looked absolutely horrible (sickly, severe skin problems) and my mom thought we should just put the poor thing to sleep. I had a little more hope and put her in our fenced back yard and fed her food and the antibiotics. Her health and skin cleared up. She is now 14 years old and the vet is amazed she has lived so long as she is a 109 lb lab/airdale mix (a dog that size generally does not live much past 12). I use about a baby spoon full (once a day), mixed in water, put in a syringe, and squirt into their mouth. The amount may be less for a smaller dog. However, I am not a vet so you are on your own. I am just telling you what works for me. If you can't afford to take your pet to the vet, this is another option.

To see what works for hundreds of other bloggers, check out Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer.

3 comments:

Diane Meyer said...

This is my favorite tip of the day! This would come in so handy for us.
Thanks for thinking of it and posting!

MediMonsters said...

Great tip!! TFS. It will come in handy. I'm sure you can look up the dosage with google.

Sara said...

Hi, I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Tractor Supply

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...