Saturday, March 21, 2009

Recipe: Onion Custard

Recently, thanks to Frugal in Franklin, I purchased fresh onions for .25 per lb at H.G. Hills. I was expecting to find less than desirable onions at that price but they turned out to be big, beautiful white onions. So I will chop them up and freeze most of them.

On Friday, my mom came to visit and we went to our local Goodwill. I really enjoy checking out the old cookbooks. I purchased a couple for casseroles. One book, Casserole Treasury by Lousene Rousseau Brunner published in 1964, had an interesting onion recipe that I wanted to share. Since I had just purchased a lot of onions, I thought it was appropriate.

Onion Custard

1 lb small white onions peeled
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 eggs well beaten
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Salt and Pepper
1 strip bacon shredded

1. Let the onions, if raw, stand in cold salted water for an hour or so.
2. Slice them and saute them lightly in sizzling butter, until they are soft but not colored. Let them cool.
3. Combine the eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in the onions and pour into a small greased casserole.
4. Scatter the bacon shreds on top and bake about 20 minutes in a moderate oven, 350 degrees, until the custard is set and firm to the touch.

Serves 4.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Yum! That sounds great.

Ronda's Rants said...

That sounds amazing!

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...