Saturday, January 10, 2009

Fantastic Cake Recipe!

Every year I make the same resolution and generally keep improving it. I want to fill my list of favorite recipes with recipes that are healthy AND taste good. Things our family will fall in love with and pass on to future generations. I believe that diets generally don't last but lifestyle changes that you are happy to make do last. I figure that in the history of our world, there has got to be things that people make to eat that I will like and will promote good health. I just have to find them. And I have found quite a few, including this recipe. My goals are lots of vegetables, fewer carbs, fiber, and disease fighting ingredients.

With that in mind, I made a cake this morning that was awesome, and even my picky five year old ate an entire piece and was happy to do it. My husband's comment was that it was a keeper. And what do you think was a primary ingredient? Drumroll, please.....PRUNES! The recipe is from Pioneer Woman and is one of her favorites. It is even one of her husband's favorites (though he did not know about the prunes). She wrote about it so glowingly that I had to try it. Go HERE to see it. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly like prunes. As a matter of fact, they made me lose my lunch once in second grade when the teacher made me eat them. However, this cake does not taste like prunes. The recipe belonged to Pioneer Woman's great-grandma Iny. It is moist and spicy. It certainly fits into my make healthier food goal. The ingredients are not expensive. Getting my kids to eat prunes, however, priceless.

By the way, if you have never cooked any of Pioneer Woman's recipes, you are in for a treat. Her food is fantastic. Her recipe for lasagna is the best I have ever made or had. Check her out. Photo above from Pioneer Woman's website.

No comments:

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...