Monday, January 19, 2009

Menu Planning Monday

I recently read this post that has inspired me to try and be more organized for 2009. I am going to start with planning my menu better. My usual dinner goes something like this: Arrive home with three hungry kids to meet four hungry pets at the door, rush around to feed pets so they will stop pestering me, find a snack that the kids would eat, and then stare blankly at the stove having no idea what I will cook, perhaps then moving to stare blankly at the open freezer wondering what will defrost the fastest. I could do better. So here goes:

Monday: Calzones
Tuesday: Meatballs and Steamed Vegetables
Wednesday: Baked Chicken, Cucumber Salsa with Lime (recipe below), Corn Pudding
Thursday: Black Bean Chili
Friday: Eat Out - (Pinewood Derby Races)
Saturday: Homemade Pizza
Sunday: Quiche & Amish Bread


Cucumber Salsa with Lime

This is one of my grandmother's recipes.

Ingredients:
1 seedless cucumber, cut into small dice (about 2 cups)
1/2 small red onion, cut into small dice
1/3 medium red bell pepper, cut into small dice
1/2 medium jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 tablespoon each minced fresh parsley and cilantro or 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


Directions:
Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Let stand for at least 5 to 10 minutes so flavors blend. (Salsa can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 hours before serving.)

4 comments:

Frances said...

This is a really great idea. I am so spoiled in that my hubby cooks dinner on weeknights, since I don't get home from work until 6pm. But he does a great job and I don't have to decide what to cook.

Having a menu would definitely make it easier if I did have to figure out what to cook.

Good luck!

Dr. Mom said...

You are incredibly fortunate! My husband would probably cook more if I asked him (though I am generally home before him), but then he might ask me to change the kitty litter or clean the garage. I think I prefer cooking! LOL

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

Great menu. I'd love the try the chili and the amish bread!

Leila said...

Thanks so much for the link!