Monday, January 19, 2009

Menu Planning Monday

I recently read this post that has inspired me to try and be more organized for 2009. I am going to start with planning my menu better. My usual dinner goes something like this: Arrive home with three hungry kids to meet four hungry pets at the door, rush around to feed pets so they will stop pestering me, find a snack that the kids would eat, and then stare blankly at the stove having no idea what I will cook, perhaps then moving to stare blankly at the open freezer wondering what will defrost the fastest. I could do better. So here goes:

Monday: Calzones
Tuesday: Meatballs and Steamed Vegetables
Wednesday: Baked Chicken, Cucumber Salsa with Lime (recipe below), Corn Pudding
Thursday: Black Bean Chili
Friday: Eat Out - (Pinewood Derby Races)
Saturday: Homemade Pizza
Sunday: Quiche & Amish Bread


Cucumber Salsa with Lime

This is one of my grandmother's recipes.

Ingredients:
1 seedless cucumber, cut into small dice (about 2 cups)
1/2 small red onion, cut into small dice
1/3 medium red bell pepper, cut into small dice
1/2 medium jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 tablespoon each minced fresh parsley and cilantro or 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


Directions:
Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Let stand for at least 5 to 10 minutes so flavors blend. (Salsa can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 hours before serving.)

4 comments:

Frances said...

This is a really great idea. I am so spoiled in that my hubby cooks dinner on weeknights, since I don't get home from work until 6pm. But he does a great job and I don't have to decide what to cook.

Having a menu would definitely make it easier if I did have to figure out what to cook.

Good luck!

Dr. Mom said...

You are incredibly fortunate! My husband would probably cook more if I asked him (though I am generally home before him), but then he might ask me to change the kitty litter or clean the garage. I think I prefer cooking! LOL

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Great menu. I'd love the try the chili and the amish bread!

Leila said...

Thanks so much for the link!

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...