Monday, January 5, 2009

"It looks nasty but it tastes yummy!"

This was uttered by my eight year old son at dinner tonight. I might add that the next thing he said was that when he is older, he wants the recipe. It is a monumental moment for me. It is the first time any of my children showed enough interest in what I cook to actually be interested in a recipe. And to top it off, I totally made it up tonight. A few days ago I thought how fun it would be to come up with a week of recipes made only from the free food that I had accumulated over the past few months. This was the Slow Cooker Sausage, Vegetable and Rice Soup. It actually turned out more like the consistency of chili. Before I forget what I did, here is the recipe:

Slow Cooker Sausage, Vegetable and Rice Soup

Ingredients:

Sausage, chopped
2 boxes Garlic and Olive Oil Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice
5 cups Water
3 Cans Muir Glen Tomato Sauce (8 ounces)
1 package Veg-All Summer Blend
Hot Sauce to taste
Sour Cream to top after cooking

Directions:

Add all ingredients in to crock pot except sour cream. Sausage does not have to be precooked. Cook on high for three to four hours or until rice is tender.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I think it looks & sounds yummy! The best part is that it was FREE! I love a good bargain!

Dr. Mom said...

Perhaps the free part made it taste a little better! LOL!

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...