Saturday, January 31, 2009

Why I Strategically Shop...

I was paying bills yesterday and discovered a trend that began in June of last year. That was the point that I became a serious couponer and started this blog. I had previously used coupons and saved 20-30% when I shopped. When I was shredding old documents at the end of the year I came across a bunch of 2007 receipts from grocery stores which were frequently around the $150 mark. I thought I was doing well at the time. I would choke if I had to do that now.

Here's the trend: We have been able to pay off $5,000 in credit card bills in eight months. Until that point our debt had remained stagnate or slowly increased. We have not gotten a raise (thanks to the economy) and our bills are still the same or more. The only thing that has changed is the way I shop. In that time I have filled our freezer and pantry until it will not hold any more. I've learned to stockpile, stack coupons and how to use the rules of the stores to my best advantage. We eat better than before. It will be years before I need to get toothpaste, hairspray, shampoo, razors, or soap. Even then I will know how to get it for free. I now donate to charity.

My advice to anyone starting this journey, pick one store to start (like CVS). Learn their rebate/coupon system, follow the bloggers who show you their purchases and learn the rules. Once you get the hang of it, move on to the next store. Get a good collection of coupons from multiple Sunday papers and from online. If you shop at Kroger, load all the coupons on your Kroger card that you can (Cellfire, eShortcuts & P&G). Study the circulars, shop the sales with coupons and stack store coupons with manufacturer coupons. It gets easier with practice.

My sister recently said to me, once you learn how to do this, it's like being in a club of people who know and the other shoppers are clueless to their detriment. Another person online said that if you don't get strange looks when you shop, then you are doing it wrong. For 5k, I am happy to suffer the strange looks and be a member of the club! Oh, and it's really fun to do!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice article. I've been using coupons for a long time, but I'm just now really learning how to use them. I'm getting my stockpile built up which I think is an important part of all this. I know I'm going to have to spend more money in the beginning to save money later on.

I know what you mean about the shampoo and toothpaste. My husband said our bathroom closet looks like a warehouse, but it's nice to just go get something that I got for free or almost free (thanks to Kmart doubling)instead of having to go and buy it at full price.

Paula

Elsbit said...

Question, as one starting out. I recently tried to use an internet printed coupon at Krogers and the cashier said that the store does not accept them. Was it just that particular Krogers or all Krogers? Does your Krogers accept them? (I tried to ask but they did not know). Not being able to use my printables made a BIG difference! Thanks in advance!

Dr. Mom said...

I have always used Internet printables at Kroger. However, it may be up to the individual store. I would suggest that you speak with a manager about their coupon policy. I suspect that the cashier was wrong as Kroger has manufacturer coupons on their website that you can print and use in their stores. See this website: http://www.kroger.com/in_store/Pages/coupon_landing.aspx

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

I love your observations -- its so true! I've gotten some flack lately from friends of mine who don't understand... it really does feel like a club of people who are
"in the know." I blogged the other day in the same vein about the reasons why I'm a Thriftie, and proud of it... Check it out if you have time! http://devastateboredom.blogspot.com/2009/01/life-as-thriftie-playin-game-and-savin.html I think I'm going to go back and edited it to include a reference to this post...

Thanks for having a great blog! I've been following you via my google reader for a while, and I always enjoy your updates. :)

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...